15 January, 2009

back to baguettes

15 Janvier 2009
Jeudi

So the solution to a backlogged blog was to post old ones and forget to write new ones.

My two-week sojourn in America was exactly what I needed. Food, family, friends, dog, history, memories, and a reliable high-speed internet connection. For the most part, these things aren’t necessarily here for me yet. On the plane ride back to Paris (or rather, several plane rides and dozens of hours spent in airports), it was crystal clear to me what I love and miss. When I moved to Paris for the first time, I kind of just went without really thinking. This time, I thought too much, and am still craving real Mexican food.

It was quite nice though, and possibly the right amount of time. Any longer, and I’d get used to it.

While flying back to Paris, the French woman next to me was quiet and kept to herself. She spoke to the flight attendants in French, and seemed rather annoyed to have to share the same row with some American. Towards the end of the flight, I prodded her so I could use the restroom. She was disturbed and looked at me like I was crazy. When I asked to get up in French, she stared at me for at least 3 seconds, then smiled warmly. She said of course and let me through. After this she was quite warm.

Poignant? No. Typical? Yes. But if this is what it takes to warm up to this fucking country, I’m going to prod the fuck out of it.

I think it’s time to really start enjoying Paris, and I’ll start by spending too much on imported American cigarettes.

1 comment:

Meadow Brianna said...

Rue Dante in the 5th. It's called Mexi&co, and it will save your life someday when you're about to die for lack of authentic Mexican fare.

Now I'm craving mexican food.